With the explosion of the Serial podcast this year, podcasts really seem to be coming to the forefront of many people’s minds. Chris rolls his eyes because he’s been listening to podcasts for years, and I always gave him a hard time.
I did love Serial, but my “gateway” podcast was really One Bad Mother. Those ladies are hilarious, and I pretty much listened to their whole archive in the first few months of Clare’s life. Which got me thinking…there must be so many other new moms out there who take comfort in shows like One Bad Mother. I started looking for anything else that might pertain to the postpartum period specifically, but there isn’t really a lot out there. And with the childbirth educator certification I’m working on, I decided I wanted to help fill that niche. Thus, the Postpartum Podcast was born. It will be a podcast that covers not only postpartum, but pregnancy and childbirth as well. I plan to have a range of guests, from birth professionals to just regular moms. Our first episode is up and features Lesley Miller of Barefooton45th. I hope that you check it out!
You can find the podcast in iTunes HERE.
And now for my top 10 favorite podcasts of 2014:
1) One Bad Mother – as mentioned above, these ladies are SO funny. Teresa and Biz approach motherhood with such honesty and humor, I literally look forward to their podcast every Friday. They share listeners’ genius and fail moments and meltdowns and interview super interesting and also funny guests.
2) Serial – If you haven’t heard of Serial, you’ve probably been living under a rock…but, just in case, it’s a spin off from This American Life, investigating a 1999 Baltimore murder. It’s engrossing and fascinating. I’m looking forward to their second season.
3) The Lively Show – Jess Lively hosts this show about living an intentional life. Her guests vary, but are always super interesting, inspiring and uplifting. She also does mini episodes usually where she is answering a listener’s question about how to add intention to their lives.
4) The Sarah R. Bagley Podcast – Sarah is a self-proclaimed ‘recovering perfectionist in pursuit of living a B+ life’ – and she interviews guests about how they have pushed past perfectionist tendencies. As a perfectionist myself, this show always resonates with me.
5) Totally Married – I think I originally heard about this one and Totally Mommy (see below) on One Bad Mother when they interviewed Elizabeth. Elizabeth and Andy talk about marriage and answer listener questions giving their “unqualified advice” on a range of topics. They are super funny and have a baby right around Clare’s age, so I find myself relating a lot.
6) Totally Mommy – Elizabeth from Totally Married co-hosts this show with her different Mom friends each week. Again because her daughter is around the same age as Clare I find myself relating a lot, and I also enjoy the questions section where they give advice (similar to totally married).
7) The Girls Next Door Podcast – I heard about these ladies again on One Bad Mother. They are two neighbors in Arizona who just talk about different happenings in their lives, neighborhoods, etc over a cocktail. They are super funny, and I find myself wishing we were neighbors every time I listen.
8) Elise Gets Crafty – Elise’s podcast always sparks my creativity and motivation. I love how much she loves goal-setting and her drive to be creative everyday.
9) The One You Feed – This podcast deals with the parable about the two wolves which goes as follows:
An old grandfather told his grandson: “My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, and resentment. The other is good. It is joy, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy, and bravery.”
The boy thought about it, and asked, “Grandfather, which wolf wins?”
The old man quietly replied, “The one you feed.”
They host different guests who talk about how they are feeding their good wolves. Very motivating and inspiring.
10) And finally the Highly Sensitive Person Podcast – After reading The Highly Sensitive Person book and discovering I am definitely an HSP, I have found this short weekly podcast encouraging to know that I am not alone for feeling the way I do about certain things.
What about you? Are there any podcasts you loved this last year? Please share!